Wintersong’s Northern Explorer- November 18, 2005 to December 15, 2014


Wintersong’s Northern Explorer - November 18, 2005 to December 15, 2014

It is with great sadness that we announce the sudden death of our beloved Samoyed, Hudson. The loss of this loving, irrepressible, happy boy leaves a huge hole in our hearts and we are very sad.

Hudson was born in North Carolina. We will always be grateful to Donna Cummings, breeder of many AKC/CKC champions at Wintersong Samoyeds for trusting us to raise this beautiful boy.

Hudson arrived in Winnipeg in the middle of a spring blizzard. At the age of three months; he’d never seen snow before. Our puppy’s first stop that afternoon was Little Mountain Park where he lost no time discovering that snow was not only fun stuff to play in – it was a food group! Our “snow dog” never looked back. For ever after, he would truly live up to his name – “Northern Explorer”. Winter was his favorite season!

A sweet playful companion to his sister Terra, Hudson was an active, energetic, curious dog, who loved to be outdoors with her - chasing rabbits, treeing squirrels and herding ducks and geese at our cabin near Thompson; hiking the trails at Kilcona, and chasing gophers at Little Mountain. He was an affectionate cuddle bug who slept most every night with us and knew that “there is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.” He was Kilcona’s friendly “Nibbler” who groomed people he liked – whether they needed it or not! Hudson gave us nine years of joy, devotion and adventure.

Nine years of age is not old for a Samoyed and Hudson was the picture of health until recently. One afternoon while walking downstairs with me, his back legs shot out from behind him. His back legs appeared to be paralysed – he was unable to stand or walk. We rushed him to our vet at McPhillips Animal Hospital. He needed an MRI, which is not available in Manitoba. Jeff took him to the Intensive Care Unit of Western Veterinary College at the University of Saskatchewan where a scan revealed a rapidly growing inoperable tumor in his spinal cord. He would not recover.

Our lovely boy was suffering - in great pain and distress. We knew it was time to let him go. We made the difficult decision to have him euthanized. That night Jeff told Hudson how much we loved him and thanked him for giving us such happiness. Hudson went to the Rainbow Bridge nestled in Jeff’s arms surrounded by the gentle voices of the ICU staff.

Hudson stole our hearts. “Run free good boy. We’ll meet you at the bridge.

Slide Show of Hudson's life


Walden Way